In 1919, many battle-scarred tanks were presented to towns and cities across Britain in gratitude for their particularly noteworthy financial achievements in the purchase of war bonds and savings certificates. One of these Presentation Tanks, “Jo” was given to St Andrews along with a German artillery gun war trophy.
St Andrews to get a Tank
The Scottish War Savings Committee has awarded St Andrews a tank in recognition of its large contributions to the War Loan. Our City is one of the few places in Scotland that has earned this award. The War Trophies Association have awarded St Andrews a German heavy gun and carriage.
7th June 1919
The Tank arrives
Some gifts are embarrassing, and this would appear to be the case with the tank which St Andrews was presented with in recognition of its large contributions to the War Loan. The derelict war monster has arrived in the Ancient City; and finding that without its internal machinery being in good working order the tank required quite an engineering feat to move it about. The City Fathers would be glad to hand over the gift to some other town with an ambition to possess this kind of war relic.
It will require three traction engines to drag it to a suitable resting place if that can be found. Then considerable damage would be done to the streets, and the Town Council is not keen to undertake this risk. They have decided to dump the tank down near the Old Station, where it now lies, so that as small an expense as possible may be incurred.
6 September 1919
“Jo” the Tank placed at the Kirkhill
“Jo”, formerly known as “The Adventuress”, the “female” tank [so-called because they were the smaller type and used small guns], has now taken up her last resting place at the historic Kirkhill.
As “Jo” weighs thirty-two tons, she is a very bulky lady. It was discovered that with a little internal “fixing-up”, she would crawl along by herself and the order for traction engines was cancelled.
Crawling along at a fair pace, she started out on her last journey, and proceeded by way of Pilmour Place and North Street Kirkhill. A little difficulty was experienced in negotiating the corner at Gregory Place, but she was well manoeuvred, and got through the lane without any mishap.
With remarkably little manoeuvring, “Jo” was successfully run on to the concrete bed where one of the old cannons formerly stood.
The site chosen for the tank is probably as good a one as could have been got for it, but there is a danger that unless precautions are taken, children who venture to the edge of the cliff to inspect the front of the tank get a fatal fall.
13 September 1919
“Jo” the Tank was to survive 10 years at Kirkhill before being sold for scrap. By the time of WWII, the majority of towns and cities throughout the UK had done likewise, for various reasons:
- Town councils were not prepared to pay for their upkeep (they rusted very quickly)
- Many were scrapped as part of the WWII war effort (although the metal was very low quality and of little use);
- The Pacifist Movement objected to them as they glorified war;
- Many people disliked the continuous reminder of the trenches or the loss of family members during WWI.
For St Andrews, it was ongoing Health and Safety concerns that finally the sealed the fate of “Jo”.
Tank and Cannon to go from the Kirkhill
A number of residents in the area petitioned the Town Council with respect to the erosion of the cliffs around Kirkhill. It was stated that the cliff, which is undermined at the tank site, is another increasing source of danger.
Based on the [Burgh Engineer’s] report it was agreed that the tank and cannon at the Kirkhill should be removed forthwith.
11 May 1929
The Tank Sold for Scrap
Dean of Guild Linskill has his troubles in these days, but one thing that has rejoiced his heart is that he is at last to see the success of his effort to have the tank removed from the Kirkhill.
He has always maintained that it marred its historic surroundings. He does not forget what the tank did for us in the War, but he does not think that the historic Kirkhill is the place to preserve one.
It is understood that a purchaser has been found for the tank and that it will be broken up. The cannon will also be removed. The tank has become a danger in its present position, for landslides are always threatening at this part of the cliffs.
1 June 1929
Goodbye to “Jo”
The tank and cannon have now been removed from the Kirkhill and the uninterrupted sea view is a great improvement.
13 July 1929
Photogragh courtesy of the St Andrews Preservation Trust
Text prepared by Fiona Gray and Kate Owen